VISIT THE NEW TEXAS SCHOOLS TO WATCH WEBSITE!
Texas Schools to Watch is an exciting new program that is part of the National Forum to Accelerate Middle Grades Reform.
- establishing and sharing a common set of program criteria
- identifying and publicizing exemplary middle schools in Texas
- educating professionals and the public about the criteria and indicators of high performing middle schools
- developing a self-sustaining, ongoing model of school reform
- providing mentoring and networking with schools throughout the state who seek to become a Texas Schools to Watch school
Each year this program identifies schools throughout the state that are academically excellent, developmentally responsive, socially equitable, and structured for success. The sites selected represent a wide range of student demographics, physical plants, size, and programs. All are characterized by their successful implementation of Texas Standards, their ongoing quest for school improvement, their organizational structures and their dependence on locally disaggregated data as the impetus to drive instruction and practice.
Common Characteristics of Texas Schools To Watch:
- dynamic, visionary leadership
- challenging curriculum for all students
- active learning environment
- data-driven decision making resulting in increased academic achievement
- test scores on an upward trajectory
- positive, happy, involved students
- small learning communities
- teams of teachers and students
- a culture of advocacy in which all students are known and valued
- high level of faculty commitment
- attention to the non-cognitive goals of education
- extensive family and community involvement
- active business partnerships
The Texas Schools to Watch program is affiliated with, and based upon, the criteria of the National Forum to Accelerate Middle Grades Reform.